Thursday, January 08, 2009

A sunrise in the west?


So, I experienced something strangely cool on this morning's drive to work. I like walking to work, but I've been driving lately because of the depth of the recent snow. I suppose it's fortunate that I drove because without a rearview mirror, I may not have seen it had I walked.

I pulled onto 500 North, and right after I did, I glanced in the mirror and noticed the colors of the rising sun behind me. "Pretty" was my first thought, but it only took an instant before I began to be confused. I looked ahead of me at Y Mountain and its cohorts and recalled one of the early bits of advice I received when I came to Provo: the mountains (meaning the big set of them) are on the east, and that Timpanogos-looking one is to the north.

If that's east . . . and the sun rises in the . . . east . . . why am I seeing a sunrise behind me?

Well, fortunately I didn't remain in my stupor of thought for long as I took a closer look in the mirror and realized that what I was seeing behind me was a smaller mountain range (the Lake Mountains?), whose snow was reflecting the colored light of the sunrise. The funny thing was that at that time of morning (about 8:30), I couldn't see the actual sunrise ahead of me because the mountains were still in the way. But I could see it behind me!

(And yes, of course, the mountain picture is just some random image from the Internet, not actually my own photo.)   :(

4 Comments:

Blogger D and S Heaton said...

Smelling the roses, I see. Good for you. It'll make you live longer.
~Dad

3:50 PM  
Blogger "The Landlord" said...

Nice! I do love the way the sun reflects off the mountains here... it's a beautiful reminder of the hand of God at the start and finish of each amazing day.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Teagan said...

ROBERT--I had no idea that comment was from but because I am amazing I was able to figure it out. How are you?? PhD--YES. GO for it. Virginia is a special place. I am sure you are aware of that already. Keep me updated when you decide where you will go. PhD watch 2009. Oh, and I need some cookies--ASAP.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Aud Pod said...

Very cool story. I do miss seeing the sun rise. Don't see it quite as often here as I did in Utah.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home